27 Oct 2014

Driving me crazy? Not any more!

Sometimes in life, you have to do what is for the best rather than being stubborn and trying to stick to how you want things to pan out. 

This is the situation I am in with my driving lessons. I truly wanted to pass my test within a year of starting lessons in July 2013. That possibility is long gone now! I have rearranged my test about 4 times since I originally booked it, purely because of inconsistency of lessons and not gaining enough confidence. 

Recently, I was away on holiday and then when I returned and tried to arrange a lesson, I was left hanging for a few days before my instructor was able to tell me that his sister in law had passed away and he'd been visiting the hospital, which is why he couldn't phone sooner. I was as compassionate as I would be with anyone, but at the back of my mind I am always thinking about how he is conducting his business so poorly! 

Anyway, I had a lesson booked for Sunday 19th October but unfortunately I had to cancel that one because I wasn't well. I was gutted because I wanted to get back to it so badly after such a long gap. I asked could we do Friday 24th at 10am and he replied he could do Friday but it would need to be 10.30am. That was fine. 

10.40am on Friday, I gave up waiting and phoned my instructor. He was in the car but on his way to a wedding! He thought he had cancelled everyone! I was very annoyed about this but tried not to show it too much on the phone with his wife in the car. I agreed to see him on Monday lunchtime. 

So that was my day completely sent off the rails - I was fuming, wondering "why me?" and not in the place I had intended to be for the day (I'd planned to end the lesson at the old house)!

As things turned out, I didn't get around to telling hubby what had happened until Saturday brunchtime. He was fuming too! He suggested that I just cancel my test and cut my losses with my instructor and then start over next Springtime, when the evenings are lighter and I can get some serious hours in. I saw his point but was nervous because my instructor is a lovely guy, just not very good at running a business! The more I thought about it over the weekend, I decided that I wanted to keep today's lesson and talk to him face to face rather than trying to do it over the phone. 

All morning my stomach was churning with nerves because I *hate* confrontation of any kind! It was simply horrible! In the end, hubby came with me to talk to my instructor and it panned out slightly differently to how we'd discussed between us. 

As things stand now, I am going to cancel my test. I am then going to wait for my instructor to get his new car at the end of November and then take the odd lesson every other Friday to help me get used to it. Then after Easter, I am going to book my test again and really hit the lessons hard. 

That gives us time to mull it over and I can still cancel with him if I want to. I don't really want to though, because I'm not good with new people and I feel like we know each other pretty well and that helps the lessons go better, but I just pray that he doesn't let me down again!! 

With any luck though, I will have passed my test before my birthday, which will be awesome! In the meantime, I have free space in my brain for concentrating on other things, such as the dreaded old house clear out! 

So yeah, it's not within the time scale I had wanted, but I will get that driving licence eventually and that's the main thing really! 

M x

No comments:

Post a Comment